I chose this for my next tutorial as 2023 is the Chinese year of the rabbit! There are lots of origami bunny tutorials; this is one of the simpler ones.
All you really need is some thin squares of paper and a pair of scissors.
If you make this out of double sided paper, the inside of the ears will be a different colour! Not got any? Use two thin sheets of different colours (that’s what I’ve done here).
Don’t forget to fold neatly and crease firmly – you can press the creases with the back of your thumb nail if you don’t have a creasing tool.
- If you’re using two-colour paper, start with the colour you want the inside of the ears to be facing upwards.
- Start with the paper in a diamond shape, with a corner pointing towards you.
- Fold in half from top point to bottom, crease and unfold.
- Take the bottom left sloping edge and fold in to meet the centre crease.
- Do the same with the top left edge.
- Take the right hand point – fold it back to meet the edge you’ve just made, then fold the tip back the other way so it sticks out over the flat edge a bit (this will be the tail!)
- Flip the whole thing over.
- Fold the left hand point over to the right, so it almost meets the flat edge.
- Next, fold the whole thing in half, bringing the centre crease upwards and the edges down towards each other – it’s easier if you pick it up to do this (see last picture).
- Now we’re going to make the ears! At the moment, they look like they’re laying along the rabbit’s back.
- Hold the bottom of the model in one hand and gently bring the points of the ears up with the other.
- Stop when the back of the ears are roughly perpendicular to the base. Crease well.
- Ok – so the next step involves separating the ears! Take a pair of scissors and very carefully snip down the centre crease between the ears, being careful not to cut all the way down.
- To give the ears a bit more shape – stick your finger in them 😂 You can open them out a bit at the bottom, which will show the contrasting paper (if you’ve used it).
- Lastly, lay the model down and go over all the creases on the body one last time.
- Bunny is finished! Stand bunny up.